Friday, March 2, 2018

Bramley Moore Stadium Construction images: part two!


April 10: The stage was completed. This was designed to be able to host concerts, as well as be the main stage for Sound City. The model is a recycle of my Wrestlemania 27 stage. That being said, I started to play around with the lighting effects for the model at this point. One of my main criticisms of my previous design was that I didn't focus on post-processing. I didn't make my pictures "jump". So to help with that, I added lens glare and blooms to the rendering. I think I overdid it a little on this one.

April 10: Doing the same thing with the lighting rig. Again, I think I overdid this one a little - it might look better in foggy conditions.

April 10: Tried a few different settings - this looks much better and more realistic. I especially love the little stars coming off each of the lights. I think that makes it come together.

April 10: So the previous three images were essentially fluff. Nice, fun things to look at and do, but not really substantive in the grand scheme of things. This one definitely is though! If you remember in part one of my diary, I spoke about the limited time I had caused several design issues. One of those is that I didn't do a proper sun analysis - I didn't measure where the sun is in the sky at any given time.
One interesting aspect of this stadium is that the pitch runs east-west, not north-south. That is because the site is only 215m wide, and with an athletics track taking up at least 177m of that, it would have resulted in a seriously compromised design if running north-south. The problem was that having the main stand located at the north, with a large opening to the west, would have caused massive glare problems for the cameras during winter. To fix this, I moved the main stand to the southern side and vice versa. Also, you may notice the LED ribbons have been installed.

April 11: My attention turned to the outside of the stadium. Most notably here, the giant oculus located above the fan plaza. I spent literally hours trying to get that exactly how I wanted over the course of the project. I'm not sure I ever got there. The basic shape of the walls are in place, as well as the ramps to the concourses. It's 15m from the ground to the concourse, which gives you an idea as to how high the structure is. That's what happens when the stands are steep though.

April 12: Work on the main stand facade begins. This is the view from inside the venue. A series of vertical panels with LED tubing running along the length of them. To give an idea of scale, a very tall man would get to the top of the blue light at the bottom.

April 13: A view of the facade from opposite Nelson Dock. I heard it suggested that the area around the oculus looks like a shark head, which I guess I can see.

April 13: Another of the less important updates, I was testing HDR lighting (another of the visual improvements for this presentation) and the reflection on Nelson Dock. I think I needed a little stronger lighting here but it worked well enough.

April 14: Looking from the entry to the venue towards the stadium and the new club offices. I would later add night lighting to the windows of the offices. I originally wanted to model the interiors, but never got around to it due to time.

April 14: In athletics mode, with the stage set up in the corner. This really highlights the benefit of the dual configuration I think - much more room for conventions/concerts/music shows. I've also installed four LED boards to the roof support pillars.

April 14: Despite all my efforts, I was still a little bit below capacity. To help rectify this, I added an extra two bays to the second tier of the (now) northern stand. I would eventually end up doing the same thing to the main stand and also filling in another corner.

April 16: Again, a little bit more fun. I ended up modelling a boxing ring, complete with trusses and lighting. I would eventually add a half-field configuration to the venue, seating nearly 40,000. Perfect for large events.
April 16: The same setup works pretty well for UFC and MMA as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment